Re: [asa] David S Wilson

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Sun May 06 2007 - 10:48:04 EDT

I fully agree, Merv. I think Wilson's approach is insidious and a greater
threat in the long run than the "religion is a parasite" community. Dawkins
& Co. are so overtly provocative that they induce all the anitbodies, even
from the secular world. Wilson, on the other hand, comes as a "friend of
religion" in the sense that he places a high value on it and thinks it is
very beneficial. Many of the defenses are skirted with this approach. In
fact, it resonates with many of the more liberal ends of the theological
spectrum where God's transcendence is downplayed almost to the point of
non-existence while the term "God" is redefined in some nebulous way. Wilson
sees the value of religion in its practical realism and means of exerting a
moral code for the benefit of society. Its basis, or lack thereof, in
objective reality is irrelevant. Thus, it's a kind of "wolf in sheep's
clothing" that undermines the core of Christian faith. It reminds me of one
of the talks given at the 2004 ASA annual meeting on faith and healing. The
talk described the health benefits of faith. But in response to a question
after the talk, admitted that these benefits were independent of the
objective existence of the object of that faith.

I think this is not an easy challenge for us to face. Much more difficult
than Dawkins. We can dismiss the validity of Wilson's research if we wish,
but I suspect a lot more work in this area will be coming along with similar
claims. We do need to articulate the significant difference between the
perception of God's existence and the reality of his existence. Is it only
philosophical or does it make a real difference in our lives?

Randy