Re: [asa] Denyse's advice

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 21:58:32 EDT

What Behe showed is that no matter how much evidence is presented,
even 'just so stories' ID is forced to never accept them since that
would close yet another gap in which to hid.
The issue is how to deal with this scientific knowledge. ID seems to
be intent on ignoring it, trivializing it, while failing to contribute
to our scientific knowledge in any meaningful manner.

As to Angus Menuge, I have heard his name and read some reviews of his
book http://www.centersite.net/books/books.php?type=de&id=2437 so far
I am not too impressed by Menuge's position but this is based on only
a cursory exploration.

I believe that some on this group could surely benefit from
understanding more about why materialistic positions do not
necessarily lead to excesses like compelled euthanasia etc. Such
efforts to honestly understand these issues however requires much time
and effort.

David: Rich, thanks for providing that additional testimony, but I
think it supports my point. I don't agree that it was appropriate for
the trial judge simply to adopt a brief definition of "science"
provided by the NAS or anyone else. I don't think it is the role of a
trial court to make that kind of adjudication. Moreover, if a court
is going to adjudicate that kind of issue, it's duty is to consider a
broad range of evidence, and not merely to accept an argument from
authority.

Of course it is appropriate for a Judge to make such a decision
especially since it was insisted upon by both sides of the argument.
If you read the ruling you would see that the Judge did far more than
'accept an argument from authority' here. While ID is quick to point
to demarcation arguments about what is science, it seems much easier
to determine if something is NOT science as opposed to science.
While we may be unable to define a priori what is or is not science,
such a position is much easier a posteriori. One 'rule' covers all may
not be tenable but that does not mean that one cannot decide if
something is science or not. Too much is made by ID proponents of this
'demarcation argument', it suffices to say that ID fails to be
scientifically relevant.
Pim