Re: [asa] astrology, ID & science

From: <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 16:48:03 EDT

The book "Undergrowth of Science" by Walter Gratzer makes for great historical
reading about the unsuccessful faces of science, most of which fade into
forgotten history while the successful stories (as should be expected) are
retained for our utilitarian pedagogical purposes. (What if religion was given
this same kind of historical treatment?!!!) Anyway, Gratzer, reminds us how
much of that embarrassing failure actually makes for a healthy soil from which
the eventual successes can thrive, as the book title inspirationally implies.
His book didn't go into origins controversies so much -- in fact it was probably
published before ID exploded as a movement; I can't remember it's publishing
date. In the looser historical sense, I can sympathize with those who would
even consider astrology as a part of science (at least *historically*) rather
than sneeringly declare that all disproven theories be rejected to some landfill
outside the scientific domain. I can also understand that we shouldn’t hold on
to disproven notions. But to declare that science is only that which up to now
is successful, useful, good … whatever – well that makes for an completely
useless tautology when trying to discuss what science is. Christians get
accused of the same thing when declaring (and yet rightly and Biblically so)
that we are known by our fruit – i.e. love.

--Merv

"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to
understand, when it's simply necessary to love." -- Claude Monet