Re: [asa] On ID, TE, and culture wars

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 15:38:20 EDT

At 01:57 PM 5/4/2007, Ted Davis wrote:
>I must ask, Janice, as a prominent biblical figure did, What is
>truth? But he didn't stick around for an answer, whereas I will.
>
>It's crucial IMO to distinguish between (a) what God knows to be the
>case; and (b) what we merely think God knows to be the
>case. Contrary to what some may think, this is not a relativist
>view of truth, any more than"critical realism" in science is a
>relativist view of truth. Truth exists, but we must be very
>cautious about identifying it with our ideas, pure and
>simple. The problem with culture "wars," IMO, is that Truth is
>often killled or missing in action--or, taken prisoner by the
>opposite side. If something is True, it ought to be admitted
>whether or not it supports one's political, theological, or
>metaphysical view. I don't see that happening often in this
>particular instance of warfare. ~ ted

@ Professionals (in religion, science, etc.) are in a different
category than the average lay person who looks to them for
guidance. The lay person is merely taking the ideas and beliefs of
those they look up to and running with them. They don't have the
expertise to know whether or not their gurus are lying.

If one is to reach them with the truth, he must circumvent their
gurus. (Like talk radio and the internet circumvent the
indoctrinators in the MSM)

As I said, Eugenie Scott, E.O. Wilson, et.al. -- admitted members
of the secular/scientific humanist/atheistic communities will not --
AND CANNOT -- be trusted as "messengers of truth" by those who hold
to the orthodox biblical worldview, because neither of those
wishy-washy moral relativists could honestly agree with this sort of
statement: "Firmness in the right," Lincoln called it, "as God gives
us to see the right."

"Men and women are the same. .. failed or oppressive cultures are as
good as ours .. the rich cause poverty .. all religions are a
path to God, etc., etc." One side in the "culture war" believes
those sorts of things to be "truth."

Good luck if you think you think anyone can legitimately remain
neutral and or succeed in "integrating" the beliefs of that side with
the other.

NEVER happen. Light and darkness don't mix.

~ Janice