Re: [asa] Denyse's advice

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 14:04:00 EDT

I have a question: How can astrology be classed as a science when St.
Augustine in the 4th century blew it out of the water? It looks to me as
though Behe deliberately redefined "science" to bring ID into its scope
and Judge Jones called him on it.

Historically, at the time that science, as distinct from /scientia/, was
beginning, Kepler cast horoscopes because that was part of his job as
royal astronomer, but disdained the task. Astronomers since have rejected
astrology. Aether, distinguished from the ancient quintessence, was a
scientific construct, as was caloric. But they better fit the antiquated
Baconian notion of science than the current hypothetico-deductive
approach.
Dave