From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 13:17:36 EDT

At 04:16 AM 5/4/2007, PvM wrote:

>It this a fair point? A vague statement about unnamed people ? ~ Pim

@@ How does it make you _feel_ to know that George Orwell
understood you. :)

Friday, May 04, 2007
Who Controls the Past Defines the Normal, Who Defines the Normal
Controls the Present
http://onecosmos.blogspot.com/

~ Janice

>On 5/3/07, David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com> wrote: Janice wrote:
@ Most materialists / atheists / strong agonistic mentalities are
faking it. The proof? Few of them have the courage of their stated
"convictions":

"....When you have successfully demystified the world, your soul is
officially dead. ....I'm trying to think of an example that even a
materialist with a blunted sensibility might understand. For many
people who have successfully demystified the world, the only time
they are able to unwittingly appreciate the sacred is when they are
directly confronted with it in its most vivid form: death, the birth
of a child, marriage, etc. Imagine being so spiritually insensate
that you had the courage of your convictions and successfully drained
the world of its sacred dimension. Upon the death of a loved one, you
would simply put them in the garbage. After all, it's just a sack of
meat. The birth of a child would be no different than termites
hatching in your backyard. Marriage wouldn't exist, because there
would be no recognition of the sacred dimension of male and female
sexuality. Euthanasia would not just be legal, but mandatory, on
grounds of common sense -- as would the abortion of youth in Asia --
as in China. Believe it or not, there are people who more or less
experience the world this way. But we do not call them "enlightened"
or more in touch with reality than the rest of us. Rather, we call
them schizoid or autistic. .." ~ Saturday, February 03, 2007
Radical Wonder and the Remystification of the World
http://onecosmos.blogspot.com/search?q=Radical+Wonder+and+the+Remystification+of+the+World

~ Janice ... Human "normalcy" http://www.onecosmos.blogspot.com/