Re: [asa] thinking was prosecutors and not that of the judge

From: Terry M. Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 13:34:44 EDT

Rich,

Unfortunately, I don't have time to deal with this in any depth
right, but I just wanted to say that I find the Dover ruling to be
atrocious. Not because I'm an ID sympathizer, but because it's
radically demarcationist in its definition of science. It
incorporates a fairly naive philosophy of science--one that makes
easy disposal of ID, YEC.

At its roots this is an affront to anyone who believes that all of
life is fundamentally religious and cannot be compartmentalized. I
gave a talk at our faculty group this year about the whether or not
science is or even can be theological neutral and whether or not it's
possible to do God-honoring work at a secular institution. Hopefully,
some of that material will be on-line in the near future.

I'm tracking the Kuyperian/Dooyeweerdian/Reformed epistemological
view on these things. The recent PSCF paper by Clouser is a starting
point for anyone who want to read what's already out there. http://
www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2006/PSCF3-06Clouser.pdf

There is a dialog on this topic in the journal as well. I still lean
toward Clouser, despite the critics.

TG