Re: [asa] Denyse's advice

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 13:34:00 EDT

*What Behe's definition does do is to make astrology science while the NAS
definition does not. This raises the question of the usefulness of Behe's
definition in light that it included what everyone agrees is not science. A
definition is useful both by what it admits and what it denies and this is
why I believe the NAS definition is superior. Thus, I don't believe the
judge erred here.*

Saying "what everyone agrees is not science" just begs the question, Rich.
Who is "everyone?" How do they "agree?" What do you mean by "science?"
What you really want to say is that most reasonable people agree that
astrology is *false *and that a definition of "science" should exclude what
is believed to be false. In that case, the best definition would be *"Science
is the true description of the natural world*." But that obviously isn't a
workable definition, because many things asserted by science are not known
for certain to be true.

Isn't a more pragmatic approach to set aside most of these demarcation
questions, and simply to say something like this: *"The court declines to
enter into the broad philosophical debate about the demarcation of
'science.' Whether ID is or is not "science" in some sense of that term,
and the merits of ID as a scientific or non-scientific theory, are
not issues properly before this court. The court agrees, however, that, as
a practical matter, lines must be drawn concerning what public schools with
limited resources can teach in science classes. The line drawn by the
National Academy of Sciences appears to be a practical one that is accepted
by many working scientists. When a local school board proposes materials
for a science curriculum that seem to fall outside that line, it is
appropriate for the court to carefully examine the motives for that
decision. Where, as here, the record demonstrates convincingly that the
decision is religiously motivated, the court may overturn the school board's
decision on constitutional grounds." *