[asa] Historical / Other References re: death before the fall

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 10:28:50 EDT

I've been having a friendly discussion with a fellow Christian believer
about how to understand death and the fall in a contemporary scientific
context. I'm trying to collect some helpful reference materials on this --
particularly references that acknowledge that the fall shouldn't be thought
of as changing the basic order of creation concerning carniverous animals
and such. I have some good contemporary ones, such as C.S. Lews in "The
Problem of Pain," Walton's NIV Application Commentary on Genesis, C. John
Collins' commentary on Gen. 1-4, some of Hugh Ross' books, even Geisler's
Handbook of Christian Apologetics. Can anyone recommend some other good
sources? I'm looking more for exegetical-type material that deals with Gen.
2, Romans 8, etc., more than broader theological material on the
faith-science relation. I'd be also be interested in references that
discuss this from a historical perspective. My impression is that the
fathers and other important historical figures prior to the enlightenment
basically thought of the prelapsarian world as paradisical, but I'm
wondering whether there's a little more nuance to it than that.