Re: [asa] Denyse's advice

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 09:12:05 EDT

Further on Behe's trial testimony, Rich said: *[Quoting Judge's opinion: "He
was presented with fifty eight * *peer-reviewed publications, nine books,
and several immunology textbook*
*chapters about the evolution of the immune system; however, he simply
insisted*
*that this was still not sufficient evidence of evolution, and that it was
not "good*
*enough." (23:19 (Behe))."*

*In this case Behe truly and literally had a "you cannot handle the truth"
moment. *
**
I don't think this is fair either. Behe* *and others have responded to the
articles cited by Ken Miller. Angus Menuge does so, for example, pretty
compellingly, in his book "Agents Under Fire." Most of them are at best
suggestive of possible pathways; none seem slam-dunk compelling; some are
just hand-waiving. When I read "Agents Under Fire" about a year ago, I
asked this list whether Menuge was all wet. There were no compelling

I read this portion of Judge Jones' opinion as a naked argument from
authority. Whether there are piles of papers and books claiming something
or other is irrelevant without some idea of the exact nature, strength, and
merits of what is claimed.

Let me note again that I'm not impugning Judge Jones, nor am I saying Behe,
Menuge, et al. are necessarily right about irreducible complexity.
Irrudicible complexity indeed seems like a gap argument, and the literature
indeed seems to suggest that the current gaps will someday be closed.
Moreover, from a theological and historical perspective, one might be
inclined (as I am) to shy away from gap arguments. But once again, I think
it's overstated and unfair to suggest that the present state of the
literature -- at least the literature Ken Miller cited at trial --
*conclusively
rebuts* the notion of irreducible complexity such that only a dishonest
moron might accept it.