Re: [asa] Denyse's advice

From: James Mahaffy <Mahaffy@dordt.edu>
Date: Thu May 03 2007 - 18:53:51 EDT

Com on George. See below.

--
James Mahaffy (mahaffy@dordt.edu)          Phone: 712 722-6279
498 4th Ave NE
Biology Department                                     FAX :  712
722-1198
Dordt College, Sioux Center IA 51250-1697
<20070503212554.90F60712402@gray.dordt.edu>,
<asa@lists.calvin.edu>
> Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 5:00 PM
> Subject: Re: [asa] Denyse's advice
>

>> George,
>> I don't understand why you don't approve of ID. Behe, in sworn
testimony
>> at Dover, said that the definition of science which will include ID
also
>> includes astrology. Do you have a problem with this?
>
> I think Behe pretty much discredited himself at Dover, & not just by
the
> astrology statement.  & as I noted earlier, Dembski's performance
tends in
> the same direction.  (I think, BTW, that we can now see that his
> conciliatory remarks about ID at the 2005 ASA meeting were probably
> hypocritical.)
George unless you really have some basis for that cut out that type of
remark.  I have no reason to doubt the communication that Bill or Mike
were making.
The ID movement is rapidly losing any claim in ever had to
> be a group pursuing a scientific research project & is now just a
social
> movement.  Unfortunately that doesn't mean that it may not grow in
influence

> on the ignorant - cf. what happened when L. Ron Hubbard turned the
> pseudoscience of Dianetics into the religion of Scientology.

This is simply ID bashing.  For pity's sake why compare him to ron
Hubbard.  that is hardly fair.
I could go on but I will leave it at that.  Lets rise above the bashing
and deal with the issues we like or don't like.