RE: [asa] Another Nice Bashing Post from Denyse O'Leary

From: Jon Tandy <tandyland@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu May 03 2007 - 18:01:10 EDT

I want to second David's comments. As a homeschooling parent, I'm sure you
(Donald) don't know why WE homeschool. It doesn't have anything to do with
YEC, not to mention evolution (and I wouldn't classify myself as TE, by the
way). I have known and been completely comfortable with a Biblical view
which includes the well-established scientific evidence of a 13 b.y. old
universe and 4.5 b.y. old earth at least since I was in college, possibly
before that. It was with definite reservations that I, with my wife, chose
a homeschool curriculum which dismisses this scientific evidence, but we did
so in order to have a very Bible-focused curriculum in the early years of
our children's education, knowing we could correct their scientific
knowledge later. It is now with few reservations that I am considering
finding a secular science text for middle school and/or high school, knowing
we will have to supplement the other way (i.e. teach the Biblical points of
view in addition to the science, rather than the other way around).

I'm sure you're right, that many homeschoolers have a view that old earth
creationism and especially theistic evolution is equivalent to athiesm. But
that is as much the fault of YEC propaganda and their unchristian
accusations toward their fellow Christians who believe in "integrity in the
practice of science", as it is to the secular establishment's atheistic
agenda. Both are pushing the warfare model instead of welcoming integrative
approaches. It also has to do with lack of scientific training in the
parents, who have little hope of evaluating the complex scientific evidences
and are therefore influenced mainly by religious propaganda. That's why I
suggested a curriculum which treats the science seriously, and integrates
appropriate humility and balance in looking at how various Biblical
perspectives deal with the science, instead of a one-sided approach. (I am
looking into the Christian Schools International curriculum as one option,
but it appears to be middle school and younger, and I can't yet tell how
well it actually deals with evaluating the various Biblical views as they
integrate with the controversial scientific evidence).

And you may be right, maybe such an effort wouldn't go anywhere. How many
parents are sufficiently knowledgeable in science and sufficiently open to
various interpretations of scripture to accept such curriculum? I certainly
can't say. Maybe as Christian homeschoolers become a formidable force in
post-high school education, they will have less and less of a serious
standing in the scientific community (because of lack of adequate training
in science, or because of being made to see science as conflicting with
Christianity), so that Christianity actually loses ground in the cultural
struggle against secularism. Or, as has been stated in other ways, maybe
these well-trained Christian homeschool kids will be inadequately prepared
against a loss of faith once they get into serious science courses in
college, because they never even knew that there was an option besides YEC
and atheism. This is one danger that parents who want to protect their
kids' Christian belief against atheism need to be made aware of, and know
that they have other options.

Jon Tandy
 <http://www.arcom.com/>