Re: [asa] Denyse's advice

From: David Buller <bullerscience@gmail.com>
Date: Thu May 03 2007 - 17:39:03 EDT

On 5/3/07, Ted Davis <TDavis@messiah.edu> wrote:

> I'm back from my therapist. Yeah, it was a pretty short meeting--they had
> to fit me in between a TE who was losing her faith in evolution after
> reading "Icons of Evolution" and a YEC who had already lost his faith in God
> after seeing a story about new stars forming, right now, before our
> eyes. It was ugly. I'm glad to say, my therapist convinced me not to join
> the AAAS, and my Christian beliefs are still intact. Whew--that was close.

Wow, Ted. I totally emphasize with your experience with the
therapist. Nonetheless,
your experience pales in comparison with the nightmare I had last
night. Here's
what happened:

I dreamed that I was giving my room a good cleaning and listening to ICR's
radio broadcast, which at the time was critiquing Stanley Miller's
experiments. Suddenly, I knocked over the radio, which fell into my bucket
of dirty cleaning water. The last words I heard were "proteins,"
"materialism," and something about thermodynamics. The batteries shorted
out, sending a surge of electricity through the murky water.

I didn't think much of it, but after catching up with the ASA list, I was
inflamed with materialist zeal (thanks a lot, guys). I quickly took a
sample of the water and looked at it under my microscope. There, in the
dredges, was a host of self-replicating RNA! I had solved the problem of
the origin of life! I quickly burned off an email to Denyse O'Leary and
William Dembski, pointing out that because of my materialist triumph, they
must all convert to atheism.

And then I woke up. Needless to say, it was quite a nightmare. After
reading the UcD posts, I now reject the materialism of my nightmare. Now,
hopefully, I can get back to the pleasant dreams that I had before I joined
ASA. Like that one I had a couple months ago the Duane Gish finally finding
his bullfrog proteins.

-David Buller