RE: [asa] Another Nice Bashing Post from Denyse O'Leary

From: Donald F Calbreath <dcalbreath@whitworth.edu>
Date: Thu May 03 2007 - 12:59:51 EDT

I just read Denyse O'Leary's comments and (unfortunately for ASA) she is right on with what she says. I have not said much while being on this listserv, but the discussion of the last few weeks has made me come close to canceling my membership in ASA after over 40 years of being a part of this organization.

The attacks on anyone who espouses a theory of origins other than TE have been condescending, often very unchristian and sound like you are only trying to make "converts" to your point of view. Rational debate about scientific and theological issues is one thing, but treating other perspectives as ignorant and misinformed and responding to others in a demeaning fashion should not happen.

When I read in the ASA newsletter about the meeting with AAAS, my fear was that faith would be sold down the river in order to achieve an accommodation with science. I have no idea who was at the meeting or what was said (and have not seen any reports), so all I have to go on is the tone that I see in this listserv. This accomodationist approach is very common among many Christians in science and will not serve us well in the long run.

The discussion about preparing homeshooling materials has been somewhat humorous, because nobody in the discussion seems to understand why many Christians homeschool. The movement is particularly strong here in the state of Washington, and I have been involved with homeschooling groups for years. The materials you want to develop would get absolutely nowhere with parents and students - they can send their kids to public schools if they want them indoctrinated with the evolutionary ideas that would be put forth.

 Denyse's comments about the materialistic mindset in modern science is correct. I have been working and writing in the field of abnormal psychology (or biochemistry and behavior), exploring the assumptions of modern neuroscience as they relate to depression and aggressive behavior (my paper in PSCF a few years ago looks at some challenges to the prevailing paradigm dealing with issues of aggression and altered neurochemical levels in the brain). I see little or nothing about this significant challenge to the Christian world-view on this listserv (OK, maybe I should throw out a question or two and start a new thread).

Don't just dismiss her comments because she represents an origins perspective different than yours - take her challenge and criticisms seriously.

Donald F. Calbreath, Ph.D
Emeritus Associate Professor of Chemistry
Whitworth College
Spokane, WA