From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Thu May 03 2007 - 09:25:34 EDT

My suggestion is similarly that those objecting to Dawkins spend some
time reading the writings of Dawkins to familiarize themselves with
his arguments.
Plantinga may argue that Dawkins' book is mainly philosophical but I
have to disagree. It may be comforting to define away Dawkins'
objections by claiming that God is simple, God is eternal but that is
a philosophical answer to a scientific position about the hypothesis
of God.

In other words, it's Plantinga who insists on defining God as simple,
perhaps based on the philosophical teachings of others. In fact, there
are many reasons to object such a principle based on ID's own claims
about complexity and the conservation thereof.
I am not saying that I am convinced by Dawkins' reasonable arguments,
I am pointing out that it may help our cause to define reasonable
arguments to counter Dawkins here.
If the best we can do is to argue from a philosophical position that
God is simple because we say so, then fine but that seems to me a
position which may convince many of those who may be exposed to
Dawkins' claims and arguments.

Perhaps I am misjudging the extent to which people understand Dawkins
yet their claims and statements often seem to be at odds with Dawkins'
position or arguments.
Surely we should be careful not to use such logical flaws in rejecting
what i see as quite powerful objections raised by Dawkins.
Of course, it has been ID and partially YEC which has opened up the
God hypothesis to scientific scrutiny, forcing us to now define God to
be simple, a position which only further strengthens Dawkins argument
since a simple God would be unable to explain complexity. In fact, a
simple God basically means that the explanation becomes one of 'God
did it', a seemingly simple explanation which however fails to be one.