From: Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Wed May 02 2007 - 20:50:12 EDT

I agree with everything you wrote below, Wayne -- & yet, the neat
packaging gives me pause. [no God means no meaning and nothing but
biochemical masses doing what chemicals do... delusions or "truth" all
in one big meaningless pot.] I'm sure atheists aren't taking this
sitting down. In fact, isn't Dennet (I've only read one of his books &
can't even remember which it was) working on resurrecting a notion of
atheism minus the despair? If Christian scientific thinkers can dabble
in kinds of naturalism and speak of "emergent" properties that defy
reductionist analysis, then can't atheists pursue this angle as well and
begin to postulate meaning and purpose in some purely Evolutionary
sense? I think Dennet may be attempting it. The only difference would
probably be that instead of God providing the meaning, it is supposed to
come from "us" -- perhaps at some community level. If they ever seem
successful in this, then it would be in defiance of our inclinations
you/we express below. And we can still insist (and unanswerably so) that
such "meaning" is still illusionary to the extent that it claims an
objective basis. Nevertheless their labor (if taken to be successful)
would begin to deflate the sting of this Christian argument. I still
think that the only final "argument" that we will rest on will be on our
faith in an objective Truth. And utility, such as what may be found at
times or missing at other times, will only be a secondary support built
on that prior foundation of objective truth recognized only by faith.
But we should anticipate how we, as a Christian community, would/will
respond to such "de-objectified" values construction.

--Merv