RE: [asa] Dawkins, religion, and children

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed May 02 2007 - 12:00:48 EDT

At 11:26 AM 5/2/2007, Alexanian, Moorad wrote:
>Let us all keep in mind the following verses in Romans 1:
>

> 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes,
> His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being
> understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
>
> 21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or
> give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and
> their foolish heart was darkened.
>
> 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,
>
> 23 and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image
> in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals
> and crawling creatures.
>
> 24 Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to
> impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them.
>
> 25 For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped
> and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
>
>Moorad

@ I think it's more correctly translated as, "the"
lie. (Interesting word, there: "EXCHANGED", isn't it?)

"....Interestingly, just as sexuality, in order to be properly human,
must be spiritualized, Schuon notes that intellectual (i.e.,
spiritual) knowledge has an ecstatic dimension to it, if for no other
reason that it is known with the heart (or mind in the heart, the
"location" of the higher mind): "There is a spiritualization of
sexuality just as there is, conversely, an animalization of
intelligence [what we are calling the vital mind]; in the first case,
what can be the occasion of a fall becomes a means of elevation; in
the second case, intelligence is dehumanized and gives rise to
materialism, even existentialism, hence to 'thinking' which is human
only in its mode and of which the content is properly subhuman."

But then, these subhuman philosophies become the justification to
fall further into vital animality.

Postmodern philosophies use the spirit to deny the spirit, leaving us
with a wholly horizontal wasteland of matter and instinct.

This intellectual operation is a complete success, even though the
patient--the human qua human--does not survive it.

A new kind of infrahuman is born, forgetful of his fall and "at ease
in a world that presents itself as an end in itself, and which
exempts man from the effort of transcending himself"--which is to
have shunned and bypassed our reason for being here.

The fall is nearly complete. But not before we drag this whole
despiritualized existentialada down with us, which we will do
tomorrow in discussing the final stage of the nihilist dialectic:
destruction." ~ 10/15/2006 enter Free of God, Animalized
Intellect, Encased in Mud into the search engine
here: http://onecosmos.blogspot.com/

~ Janice