From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Wed May 02 2007 - 10:11:26 EDT

*for being a "theology lightweight" (and I agree that he is), Dawkins
> sure does net a lot of noisy attention here. If Pim is his only
> defender present and is not mounting sufficient challenge to overcome
> criticisms, then why all the ruckus*?

Maybe for a few reasons: (1) Dawkins gets lots of public / cultural
attention; (2) the communities many of us live and work in (scientific /
academic) give lots of creedence to philosohpical materialism; and (3) *many
of us really have thought carefully about atheism and materialism and really
are capable of presenting and are keen to present reasonable Christian /
theistic responses to it for the record in this public forum.*

I highlight the last point, Merv, not for your benefit, but for the benefit
of others who think all of us here are wimps when it comes to responding to
materialism.