From: Jack <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Tue May 01 2007 - 22:02:41 EDT

MessageThere is a long history of philosophical discussion regarding simple vs complex. For example in the dualism tradition man has a body, which has many parts and is complex, and a soul which is of one substance, has no parts, and is simple. God, in this tradition is also simple, of one substance with no parts.

The point here is not whether you accept dualism or not. The point here is that with Dawkins materialism is a given. And because of his presuppositions, he cannot understand how a creator can be simple, that is not a possibility that he can see. So his presuppositions lead to him to conclude that God is highly improbable because of how enormously complex a creator must be. Plantiga is simply pointing out that Dawkins argument about improbablity presumes materialism. Dawkins argument amounts to a tautology.

But this debate about the proofs of the existence of God have been going on forever. That is not the problem with this book, as Plantiga points out, Dawkins is a lightweight in this area, his arguments against God are trivial. However, the problem with Dawkins as I see it, and Pim evidently cannot, is that he wants to stop the spread of the dangerous God meme (virus he calls it) by not allowing traditional "indoctrination" of children by parents. In Dawkins view, if we could have a world where no beliefs were allowed to be passed on from one generation to another, eventually this God meme will become extinct. And in Dawkins view the world would be a much better place.