From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 01 2007 - 19:14:34 EDT

> I am amused by Iain's use of the phrase 'lovingly typing out' when I
> am trying to educate fellow Christians as to what Dawkins has actually
> written.

Please don't be so arrogant as to assume that you're "educating" us. It is
extremely insulting and gives the impression that we are talking to a
know-all. We can read, as it happens.

 I am reading The God Delusion at the moment, and it is full of invective
and hatred of religion, particularly the "Abrahamic" religions. In an
earlier thread, I cited the opening sentence of the second chapter, a long
string of typically Dawkinsian invective about the God of the Old testament,
ending " ... capriciously malevolent bully ..." You graciously educated me
by typing out the following sentence, which begins "It is unfair to attack
such an easy target ...". But this hatred of the Jewish and Christian God
pervades the book with little nasty comments thereafter, eg on page 46, he
says

<dawkins> "The Deist God is certainly an improvement over the monster of the
Bible". </dawkins>

The hatred is very clear.

Given Dawkins's very clear expressions of distaste and disgust for God as
portrayed in the Bible, can I ask if you actually believe in the God of the
Bible? Or do you agree with Dawkins that He is a monster? If so, what sort
of God do you believe in? How do you interpret the Bible, and in particular
Jesus, who has a lot to say about Hell and wailing and gnashing of teeth,
responsible for so many nightmares that might well, according to Dawkins be
more damaging than sexual abuse? Do you think that Jesus is a child abuser,
I wonder?

And, if you're a Christian, where is it that you disagree with Dawkins?

You seem at pains to educate us about where you think he is right. Where
has he gone wrong, according to you?

 How would you, as a Christian, challenge an atheist who says Dawkins's book
is great, e.g. Matt Ridley on the back cover who says

<quote>"Oh it's so refreshing after being told all your life that it is
virtuous to be full of faith spirit and superstition, to read such a
resounding trumpet blast for truth instead. It feels like coming up for
air" </quote>

What would you, as a Christian, say to Matt Ridley? Please don't duck the
question, as you ducked the question in my previous email which asked what
reasons you had for being a Christian.

Iain

--------