From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 01 2007 - 17:54:18 EDT

I am amused by Iain's use of the phrase 'lovingly typing out' when I
am trying to educate fellow Christians as to what Dawkins has actually
written.
In fact, you also misunderstand my contributions which you seem to see
as disparaging when they are in fact meant to show the logical
fallacies in these arguments. Should we just sit back and accept
poorly argued arguments just because they are made by Christians? Of
course not, in fact I believe we have a task to expose them before
others can pick up on them.

I am not sure what Plantinga is trying to argue but I have never been
much of a fan of philosophy.
http://www.christianitytoday.com/bc/2007/002/1.21.html

Dawkins is arguing that God is complex and thus improbable (at least
in the ID meaning of the word complexity). Could God be simple? Not
according to ID theory, where complexity requires more complexity.

Dawkins
<quote>A designer God cannot be used to explain organized complexity
because any God capable of designing anything would have to be complex
enough to demand
the same kind of explanation in his own right.</quote>

Now one may want to circumvent this by claiming that God is simple but
now we are running the risk of confusing meanings of words.

What Dawkins is pointing out that explaining the complexity of the
universe by pointing to God basically explains nothing. One can either
presume a complex God and now one have to either explain the origin of
God or assume that this complexity always existed, or one assumes a
simple God but then it fails to explain the complexity in the world.

Funny how Plantinga refers to Dawkins' philosophy as sophomoric, as if
that is going to answer the questions raised. Plantinga's 'rebuttal'
does a disservice to Dawkins and I am puzzled by it.

God is 'simple': God is simple, and simple in a very strong sense, so
that in him there is no distinction of thing and property, actuality
and potentiality, essence and existence, and the like.

What does this mean, how does this answer the question? If God is
simple then god cannot explain the complexity in the universe. If God
is simple in the meaning as provided by Plantinga, what does this
mean?

Or the following attempt to argue that God cannot be complex

<quote>According to his definition (set out in The Blind Watchmaker),
something is complex if it has parts that are "arranged in a way that
is unlikely to have arisen by chance alone." But of course God is a
spirit, not a material object at all, and hence has no parts.</quote>

But then God cannot be simple either. These are just semantics that
allow Plantinga to avoid dealing with the argument. And although God
is a spirit, he is also the trinity, now we may want to avoid
discussing in terms of parts but to argue God aways as being simple
because he is a spirit somehow misses the target.

Others have picked up on this as well

<quote>Saying that something is simple (and, similarly, saying that
something is necessary) just doesn't make it so. Plantinga is arguing
that his definition of God is better than Dawkins' definition of God,
largely on the grounds that he (or, at any rate, the theologians he
quotes) got there first.</quote>

http://letsbesensible.blogspot.com/2007/04/plantinga-on-dawkins-when-bad-arguments.html

I am not too impressed by Plantinga's response.

Rich: "There is but one only living and true God, who is infinite in
being and perfection, a most pure spirit, invisible, without body,
parts or passions, immutable, immense, eternal, incomprehensible,"
etc.

And this makes God 'simple'? By what definition?