From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 01 2007 - 14:06:54 EDT

> <quote>Francis Collins: "I would argue that atheism is the least
> rational of all choices because that assumes that you know enough to
> assume the possibility of God [in the first place]</quote>
>
> So far I have failed to see a good response to this question.

I am not defending the ontological argument per se. Rather, the reason I
brought up the ontological argument to show one reason why assuming the
possibility of God is irrational. Or to put it differently talking about the
"possibility" of God in light of this is a category error. IMHO, ID makes
the same category error when assigning possibility to an intelligent
designer when the most likely -- and thinly veiled -- identity of the
designer is ontological being. Pim will undoubtedly note that this is not the
Christian God and that is quite true. The theistic arguments whether
classical or derivative simply do not get you there. That's why I believe
Francis Collins' argument is an excellent negative argument against atheism
while a lousy positive one for Christianity.