RE: [asa] Dawkins, religion, and children

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Tue May 01 2007 - 12:54:37 EDT

Hi Pim, you wrote:

>>I'd argue that there is as much basis to presuppose a spahjetti

monster, Zeus, Thor, Wodan, or the countless other Gods as there is to

presuppose a Christian God. Using Collin's logic, we are all guilty of

rejecting these based on insufficient evidence about their

probabilities. This seems exactly the flawed approach chosen by ID.

Until we know more, we should presuppose God as 'the best

explanation'.

So why is the Christian God far more 'reasonable'? Because you were

raised in this tradition, exposed to the relevant teachings and have

accepted His existence. However, others have come to very different

conclusions based on much of the same evidence and arguments.

I fail to see how one can claim that there is no reasonable basis to

presuppose a spaghetti monster, while implying that there is a

reasonable basis for presupposing other such entities. Is our faith in

our God so much different from the faith of others in different

God(s)?<<

You wouldn't be making this argument if you had been among the
Israelites being lead through the wilderness by a column of smoke by day
and a pillar of fire by night. It wasn't the "spaghetti monster" who
spoke to Moses out of the burning bush. In short, we have the testimony
of 44 authors writing over a period of fifteen hundred years, all who
testified to the living God of the Judeo-Christian tradition. If I am
persuaded by data and evidence alone it is He, the great "I Am," that
gets my vote.

Dick Fischer, Genesis Proclaimed Association

www.genesisproclaimed.org <http://www.genesisproclaimed.org/>