From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 01 2007 - 12:27:06 EDT

Btw Dawkins did respond to the author of the quote in his 30th
anniversary edition of the Selfish Gene

Unwriting a book is one thing. Unreading it is something else. What
are we to make of the following verdict, from a reader in Australia?

Fascinating, but at times I wish I could unread it... On one level, I
can share in the sense of wonder Dawkins so evidently sees in the
workings-out of such complex processes . .. But at the same time, I
largely blame The Selfish Gene for a series of bouts of depression I
suffered from for more than a decade . . . Never sure of my spiritual
outlook on life, but trying to find something deeper—trying to
believe, but not quite being able to—I found that this book just about
blew away any vague ideas I had along these lines, and prevented them
from coalescing any further. This created quite a strong personal
crisis for me some years ago.

I have previously described a pair of similar responses from readers:

A foreign publisher of my first book confessed that he could not sleep
for three nights after reading it, so troubled was he by what he saw
as its cold, bleak message. Others have asked me how I can bear to get
up in the mornings. A teacher from a distant country wrote to me
reproachfully that a pupil had come to him in tears after reading the
same book, because it had persuaded her that life was empty and
purposeless. He advised her not to show the book to any of her
friends, for fear of contaminating them with the same nihilistic
pessimism {Unweaving the Rainbow).

If something is true, no amount of wishful thinking can undo it. That
is the first thing to say, but the second is almost as important. As I
went on to write, Presumably there is indeed no purpose in the
ultimate fate of the cosmos, but do any of us really tie our life's
hopes to the ultimate fate of the cosmos anyway? Of course we don't;
not if we are sane. Our lives are ruled by all sorts of closer,
warmer, human ambitions and perceptions. To accuse science of robbing
life of the warmth that makes it worth living is so preposterously
mistaken, so diametrically opposite to my own feelings and those of
most working scientists, I am almost driven to the despair of which I
am wrongly suspected.