From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue May 01 2007 - 11:51:50 EDT

At 11:35 AM 5/1/2007, Iain Strachan wrote:

>I gave the example earlier of the reviewer on
><http://Amazon.com>Amazon.com who reported that "The Selfish Gene"
>shattered his fledgling faith, and led to several bouts of
>depression. But I'm guessing that Dawkins wouldn't see that as
>abuse, because he believes that he's telling the truth that there is
>no God. If the truth upsets you, then too bad.

@ There are Dawkin's "truths" and then there are "self-evident
truths" which upset other people who don't know that they're like
Dawkins in many subtle ways.

Here are several statements that embody various self-evident truths,
courtesy of
<http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ThomasSowell/2007/05/01/random_thoughts>Thomas
Sowell:

--L*berals hold us individually responsible for nothing but
collectively responsible for everything.

--Our education system, our media, and our intelligentsia have all
been unrelentingly undermining the values, the traditions, and the
unity of this country for generations and, at the same time,
portraying as "understandable" all kinds of deviance, from
prostitution to drugs to riots.

--Some of the biggest cases of mistaken identity are among
intellectuals who have trouble remembering that they are not God.

--"Global warming" seems to be joining "diversity," "gun control,"
"open space" and a growing list of other subjects where rational
discussion has become impossible -- and where you are considered a
bad person even for wanting to discuss it rationally.

--Is your employer poorer by the amount of money he pays you?
Probably not, or you would never have been hired. Why then should we
assume that a corporation or its customers are poorer by the amount
paid to its chief executive officer?

--A review of one of the many environmentalist books says that even
if you can't do all you would like toward "living green," you can at
least "congratulate yourself on taking small steps to improve the
planet." That is what environmentalism -- and much else on the
political left's agenda -- is really all about, self congratulation.

These statements may appear to be a random assembly, but they are
unified by the deeper structure of an attack on verticality, and with
it, truth and liberty. Because here is the true purpose of our
spiritual, which is to say, vertical, liberty:

The purpose of freedom is to enable us to choose what we are in the
depths of our heart. We are intrinsically free to the extent that we
have a center which frees us: a center which, far from confining us,
dilates us by offering us an inward space without limits and without
shadows; and this Center is in the last analysis the only one
there is. --F. Schuon

~ Janice .. More: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 On Vertical Feelings: Love
the Truth, Not the Truther http://www.onecosmos.blogspot.com/