From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 01 2007 - 10:07:55 EDT

*David somehow those who push
liberal ideas in government and law need to understand that security and
law enforcement are also important or you get cities with dead, crime
ridden centers.*

I don't see laws protecting religious liberty as "liberal ideas," unless you
mean in the very broad, classical sense of liberal democracy. I would
suggest that a strong stance in favor of protecting religious liberty is a
"conservative" position in a western liberal democracy. Most of your law
enforcement and security concerns about the Burka seem grossly overblown to
me. Obviously, if drug dealers and such use something like a Burka for
cover, the law can address that, given that the garment isn't worn in that
case as part of a sincerely held religious belief. IMHO, most of the
efforts to ban Burkas and other religious garb stem either from fear of and
prejudice against the "other" or from an effort to completely secularize
society. And it continues to amaze me that "conservatives" are willing to
sacrifice, rather than conserve, core freedoms such as religious liberty
under the veil of security concerns.

I'm guessing we're about to draw the moderator's ire for getting too
political, but I'm happy to continue offline with anyone who's interested.