Re: [asa] Hummer vs Prius comparison

From: Charles Carrigan <>
Date: Mon Mar 19 2007 - 12:55:36 EDT

I drove through Sudbury last fall. It is still a pretty desolate place, but I can't really compare it to your experience in 1979. My students commented about how depressed the town feels. I wasn't really looking much at the landscape though - I was there for the shattercones, sulfide igneous rocks, and the glacial striations.
Charles W. Carrigan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Geology
Olivet Nazarene Univ., Dept. of Physical Sciences
One University Ave.
Bourbonnais, IL 60914
PH: (815) 939-5346
FX: (815) 939-5071
"To a naturalist nothing is indifferent;
the humble moss that creeps upon the stone
is equally interesting as the lofty pine which so beautifully adorns the valley or the mountain:
but to a naturalist who is reading in the face of the rocks the annals of a former world,
the mossy covering which obstructs his view,
and renders indistinguishable the different species of stone,
is no less than a serious subject of regret."
          - James Hutton

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, PvM wrote:

> Yes, Inco did a lot of probably
> irreparable damage to the area around Sudbury, Ontario over the many
> decades, and I will not defend them. The 1,247 foot tall Inco superstack
> definitely spread acid rain far and wide over eastern Canada for nearly two
> decades. However a major pollution control program was put in place in the
> late 1980s and since 1994, the stack has emitted almost nothing but water
> vapor. Most of the Ontario lakes that were damaged by acid rain in the 1970s
> and 1980s have since recovered and are now doing well. </quote>

Can anyone tell me what the vegetation in the vicinity of Sudbury looks
like now? I drove through that area in 1979, and I felt as if I had
suddently been transferred to another planet.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0395