Re: [asa] Vattenfall

From: David Opderbeck <>
Date: Mon Mar 05 2007 - 20:58:27 EST

There was a hearing recently before the U.S. House Ways and Means Committee
in which some testimony was presented about this. (Full transcripts here:

One Witness, not an economist, suggested that a reasonable estimate is that
costs of mitigation would be 2% of U.S. GDP by 2100 -- about 6 trillion
dollars. However, he suggested that projected growth in GDP over that same
time frame would more than make up for that loss. (That is probably a
dubious assumption, as this kind of energy cost would likely slow economic
growth in all sectors of the economy.) Testimony here:

However, another witness, David Montgomery, an economist with Charles River
Associates (I've used CRA as experts in antitrust litigation -- they are
very good), suggested mitigation efforts would cost 0.3% to about 1.9% of
U.S. GDP by 2020 -- again, trillions of dollars. Montogmery lays out very
effectively why caps that exempt India and China are probably
counterproductive. (I don't know for sure, but since CRA is a private
consulting firm, it is likely that CRA was retained by some interest group
to present his testimony).

On 3/5/07, Randy Isaac <> wrote:
> The current issue of BusinessWeek had a brief clip about the Swedish
> utility firm Vattenfall. The CEO is Lars Josefsson who is also an adviser to
> the German government. A few weeks ago he presented this analysis
> which
> indicated the economic cost of containing carbon emissions to be only 0.6%of global domestic product. Any perspectives on the credibility Josefsson
> and this analysis?
> Randy

To unsubscribe, send a message to with