Re: [asa] Carbon Offsets for the Elite (or, How the Wealthy Adapt to Warming)

From: Rich Blinne <>
Date: Sat Mar 03 2007 - 21:30:26 EST

Not really. For example, when the AP contacted the utility for a
follow up they found out the think tank had never contacted them. I
did some research and here is what I found. Basically, the Gores buy
premium, green electricity AND offsets. And George is absolutely
right about ad hominem arguments.

In addition to what Dave mentioned, Gore participates in Green Power
Switch to the tune of $432/month premium for green power. That’s
16,200 kWh/month of green power paid for vs. 15,917 kWh used. [Side
note: looking at premiums being charged by the TVA ($4/150 kWh block
or $35/month for the average Nashville consumer) this seems to be
well within the regular Joe’s capability. You make it sound like it’s
extraordinarily expensive. Alternative energy is not rocket science
either in its difficulty or its price.] The total usage number for
the Gore mansion is from a follow-up by the AP contacting the utility
rather than the think tank’s numbers because a spokesman for the
power company said the utility never got a request from the policy
center and never gave it any information. You say this doesn’t
effectively produce alternative energy. But, what does the TVA say?

How does green power benefit the environment?

The environmental effects of traditional energy sources like coal,
natural gas, oil, and nuclear power can be significant. Although no
source of energy is impact-free, renewable resources create less
waste and pollution. In fact, an investment of an additional $8 per
month on your power bill buys enough Green Power Switch to equal the
environmental benefits of planting an acre of trees in the Tennessee

How much electricity does Green Power Switch produce?

TVA has the capacity to provide as much as 97 million kilowatt-hours
of green power annually. Physical laws determine where electricity is
ultimately used, so power from these sources will go into TVA’s
electric system as part of the Valley’s total power mix, rather than
to individual homes or businesses. When the green power resources
aren’t operating — for instance, when wind speeds are too low to
generate energy — TVA’s other resources will continue to supply
reliable electricity.

On Mar 3, 2007, at 6:12 PM, David Opderbeck wrote:

> Where's the ad hominem? Nobody's calling him names. The facts are
> the facts.
> On 3/3/07, PvM <> wrote:
> I find it somewhat disturbing that when Al Gore receives an award for
> his groundbreaking work, suddenly these ad hominem attacks appear out
> of nowhere to try to undermine Al Gore's work. Swift-boating all over
> again and since there is not much argument against the science of
> global warming, the obvious course of action seems to be to attack the
> messenger.
> Thus right wing news papers and other outlets are quick to accuse Gore
> of being a hypocrite.
> I guess when faced with the inconvenient truth, some are quick to
> attack, at all cost.
> May God have Mercy on them, for they do not know better
> To unsubscribe, send a message to with
> "unsubscribe asa" (no quotes) as the body of the message.

To unsubscribe, send a message to with
"unsubscribe asa" (no quotes) as the body of the message.
Received on Sat Mar 3 21:31:19 2007

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Sat Mar 03 2007 - 21:31:19 EST