Re: [asa] Physicalism and Incarnation

From: George Murphy <>
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 22:36:05 EST

The precise nature of the resurrection body has been debated for a long
time - Origen got zapped about this by the 5th ecumenical council. Paul's
term "spiritual body " (soma pneumatikon) calls up for us an image of a
ghost, but Pauline usage of "spirit" & "spiritual" indicates more that it's
a body completely in tune with God rather than a statment about what the
body is made of. In the same letter (2:14-15) he distinguishes spiritual
people from unspiritual using the same words as in 15:44, pneumatikos and
psychikos, & certainly does mean to suggest there that spiritual people are

& questions about the resurrection of people who are eaten by cannibals have
also been discussed since at least the 2d century, sometimes as a supposed
reduction ad absurdum of the idea of the resurrection of the body. The
quantum mechanical understanding of identical particles makes the issue of
"the same atoms" in the sown & risen body a non-problem. An ancient article
of mine, "Quantum Theory and Resurrection Reality" (CTNS Bulletin 11, 25,
1991), discusses this. I'll be happy to send a copy to anyone who gives me
a snailmaila ddress.