Re: [asa] Conservative Christianity and Evolution

From: Dave Wallace <>
Date: Wed Feb 14 2007 - 07:59:52 EST

I watched the whole lecture and found it outstanding. The contrast to
Dawkins could not be greater eg

> Richard Dawkins, who holds the interesting title of “Charles Simonyi professor of
> the public understanding of science” at Oxford University
> Belief in God is not only a delusion, he argues, but a “pernicious” one.

Dawkins style of writing just feeds right into peoples fear of godless
scientists who bend science to promote evolution. IMHO Dawkins writings
are a big boost to YEC and the ICR.

The only thing I objected to was that Dr. Scott said that she
did not believe in evolution and then a few lines later said that she
accepted the theory of evolution. It struck me as cheap theater. In
such a case I would use believe in the sense of case 2 and 3 below as a
shorthand for I think that a certain theory/practice etc is somewhat to
highly likely. During my work career on visits to the USofA I also found
the same kind of
objections to use of the word believe usually seeming to imply that it
always had to be a religious belief, case 4 below. Case 1 was also
used but case 2 and 3 seem to be falling out of favour in the US.

 From an online dictionary the definition of believe