Re: [asa] Oil and Tubalcain

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sun Dec 31 2006 - 15:56:53 EST

I am happy to accept that most of Gen 1-11 is based on historical events but the "information" there is so sparse that it is not possible to identify either the places or times . It has been tried before with no conclusive result.

Even on Gen 12-50 it is difficult to place the patriarchs beyond saying that they fit into 2nd Millennium ANE, hence I regard those characters as real people. (and Noah and his watery journey)

I think you and Glenn are wasting your time and need to be more relaxed about the history of Genesis and concentrate on its meaning. The bible is historical but doesn't give the historical information you need. There is more in the later OT and on the whole the NT gives a fair amount - but still is incomplete in places as I found out in Turkey

The Bible was originally written for a very different culture and does not attempt "Modernist" history as we have had it in the last 2 centuries

Michael