Re: [asa] Moral law - Francis Collins

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Dec 31 2006 - 12:36:52 EST

On 12/31/06, Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi Johan:
>

> Although a renowned expert on DNA, Collins is probably off the mark on
> this issue as was Lewis before him. What is being referred to as "moral
> law" is likely our innate sense of fairness. We seem to know if we have
> been treated unfairly in any instance. And Lord knows there is no fairness
> in life. Doing either good or bad in any instance is more likely rooted (as
> it is in animals) in learned behavior. Okay, de Waal goofs on this too.
> Reward an animal with food and it learns whatever system of "morals" you
> want to instill in it. Amazon headhunters learned it was okay to shrink
> human heads. Thus our morals are learned from our rewards and punishments
> more likely than from any innate or God-given sense of right and wrong.
>

> The "moral law" is simply, do what God says to do. And God didn't speak
> to mankind until he decided to speak to Adam about 7,000 years ago. Do what
> I tell you Adam, or in the biblical example, don't do what I tell you not to
> do. That's the moral law. Do it God's way not the way that seems right
> to you at the time through whatever value system you may have acquired
> through learning or experience, or even what may be a "gut feeling." Your
> inborn senses are unreliable as moral compasses. That's why God gave us a
> Bible and didn't leave it up to any inborn sense of right and wrong.

What you say would appear to be contradicted by Romans 2:14-15

14(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things
required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not
have the law, 15since they show that the requirements of the law are written
on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts
now accusing, now even defending them.)

which as I see it implies that the requirements of the law are written on
the hearts even of those who do not have the law.

I'm having a problem squaring that with what you say about God giving us a
Bible and not leaving it up to an inborn sense of right and wrong.

Iain