RE: [asa] Moral law - Francis Collins

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Sun Dec 31 2006 - 12:22:16 EST

Hi Johan:

Although a renowned expert on DNA, Collins is probably off the mark on
this issue as was Lewis before him. What is being referred to as "moral
law" is likely our innate sense of fairness. We seem to know if we have
been treated unfairly in any instance. And Lord knows there is no
fairness in life. Doing either good or bad in any instance is more
likely rooted (as it is in animals) in learned behavior. Okay, de Waal
goofs on this too. Reward an animal with food and it learns whatever
system of "morals" you want to instill in it. Amazon headhunters
learned it was okay to shrink human heads. Thus our morals are learned
from our rewards and punishments more likely than from any innate or
God-given sense of right and wrong.

The "moral law" is simply, do what God says to do. And God didn't speak
to mankind until he decided to speak to Adam about 7,000 years ago. Do
what I tell you Adam, or in the biblical example, don't do what I tell
you not to do. That's the moral law. Do it God's way - not the way
that seems right to you at the time through whatever value system you
may have acquired through learning or experience, or even what may be a
"gut feeling." Your inborn senses are unreliable as moral compasses.
That's why God gave us a Bible and didn't leave it up to any inborn
sense of right and wrong.

Dick Fischer

Dick Fischer, Genesis Proclaimed Association

 <http://www.genesisproclaimed.org> www.genesisproclaimed.org