Fwd: [asa] Earth's crust, Earth's atmosphere and Creation

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Dec 30 2006 - 22:38:19 EST

*In other words: Osmium-oxide gives every appearance of having been
specially designed for damaging human life. Or is it just a coincidence
*
It seems to me that this example doesn't do what Denton wants it to do. To
compare this to cosmic fine-tuning, he'd have to show that there would be *
no* environmental threat to human life *unless *the concentration of osmium
oxide in the atmosphere were finely calibrated to kill humans. That is not
so; a very small amount will kill humans, as will a medium or large amount,
or any amount for that matter. And, even if there were no osmium oxide in
the atmosphere, there are many other natural environmental threats to human
life -- including even water under some circumstances, as Michael pointed
out. Thus, all Denton shows here is that there is a substance called osmium
oxide that can seep into the atmosphere and that happens to be very toxic to
humans. He does not show that the environment in which humans live is
finely tuned to kill humans. Indeed, it's manifestly not the case that the
environment in which humans live is finely tuned to kill humans, else none
of us would be here discussing it.

Further, Denton doesn't even show that Osmium-oxide itself is finely tuned
to kill humans. To show that, he'd need to demonstrate that if this
molecule had not been arranged in a highly unlikely configuration, it would
not have been toxic to humans. This doesn't seem to be the case. Osmium is
one of the platinum group elements. I would suspect that other corrosive
compounds could result from the oxidation of related elements, which would
also be toxic to humans for the same reasons that Osmium Oxide is toxic.

--
David W. Opderbeck
Web:  http://www.davidopderbeck.com