Re: [asa] Cosmological Evolution?

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Sat Dec 30 2006 - 12:06:07 EST

Others more expert than I will undoubtedly respond to this, but as I
recall the orderly succession of fusion process stops abruptly at iron.
The stellar mass then collapses abruptly and when the dynamics of this
collapse reach the right point, a nova (super) occurs [sorta not orderly
in the previous sense]. It is this cataclysmic nova event that is
responsible for the creation of those atoms heavier than iron. It is
another of those "destructive" bookends to what has up to that point
been a sort of relatively orderly non-biological evolutionary process.
It is still a marvelous process overall, repeated over and over.

 JimA