Re: [asa] Earth's crust, Earth's atmosphere and Creation

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Fri Dec 29 2006 - 13:04:08 EST

An interesting question. However, the statement "A universe fine-tuned for life should not contain poison" is a non sequitur. All being "fine-tuned for life" requires is that conditions be appropriate for the development of life, not that there be no threats to living things. After all, their are plenty of threats to physical life implied by gravitation, electrodynamics &c, all of which are basic to the development of life: The fact that living things can get killed by falling off cliffs or by lightning isn't an argument against fine tuning.

The existence of heavy elements is probably a necessary consequence of the same fine tuning that allows life to develop in the 1st place. If you're going to have life, you have to not only make C-12 in stars (requiring the proper "tuning" of strong & E-M forces) but also get the carbon into interstellar space so it can be part of the next generation of stars. That happens in supernova explosions, & another result of such explosions is the formation of heavy elements as nuclei are subjected to a high flux of neutrons. (& this means, I think, not only that there will be Hg, Os & other heavy metals which are potential chemical poisons, but that there will be radioactive elements & the stuff that nuclear weapons can be made from.)

Apparently God created a universe with sufficient integrity to bring forth living things via natural processes with divine cooperation, in full awareness that such a universe would in many ways be a dangerous place. & that means that it would also be a dangerous place for God himself when he became incarnate.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/