Re: [asa] Brick Wall

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri Dec 29 2006 - 11:56:28 EST

@ Admit it. You know you're up to the task. :)

Wednesday, December 27, 2006
The Original Sin of ..

There is a cliche that slavery was the "original sin" of the United
States, but that can't be right. The real meaning of original sin is
a primordial choice made by man as such, a choice that places him in
a parallel universe that then shapes and determines everything else
that follows. Not only was slavery banned within 90 years of our
founding, but the framers wrote the constitution in such a way that
the conflict over slavery would have to eventually come to a head.
They simply put the conflict off to the future in order to make the
fragile union of states possible at the outset. ...

You might say that the founders were free of political "original
sin," and created a system that is about as close to perfection as
humans can manage. The sin only came in later, eating away at the
foundations of this noble country. What was it? What was the alien
meme that entered the American bloodstream and infected half its
inhabitants? ....

In a two part essay entitled
<http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ThomasSowell/2006/12/27/a_dangerous_obsession_part_ii>Dangerous
Obsession, I think Thomas Sowell identifies the real original sin...

...So be aware of original sin. It will always come as a seductive
idea that seems both liberating and compassionate, but is actually
cruel and enslaving.

Continue: http://www.onecosmos.blogspot.com/

~ Janice