Re: [asa] Cosmological Evolution?

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu Dec 28 2006 - 15:33:51 EST

At 02:12 PM 12/28/2006, George L. Murphygmurphy@raex.com wrote:

"...At this point I'm not particularly interested in getting into
extended debate about the environment __with someone whose views__
about such matters I would still characterize as "preposterous." ~
George L. Murphy

@ Forget me and "my views".

The fact is, that those whose beliefs about the environment you
consider to be preposterous are held by the scholars I cite. I can
understand why you wouldn't be interested in debating these people on
the subject.

Those I cite point out who the dooms-day false prophets in the
various "sciences" are. When people make life decisions (or pass
legislation) based on their prophecies, and they don't come to
pass, they just move on to the next one without any embarrassment at
all. Like all "true believers" who follow other false prophets
like Pat Robertson and help to spread "the message", they act as if
they don't notice when the prophecy fails.

Michael Crichton knows this: "Let me say at once that I have no
desire to discourage anyone from believing in either
extraterrestrials or global warming. That would be quite impossible
to do. ... Rather, I want to discuss the history of several
widely-publicized beliefs and to point to what I consider an emerging
crisis in the whole enterprise of science-namely the increasingly
uneasy relationship between hard science and public policy. ..

  "...even as a child I believed that science represented the best
and greatest hope for mankind. Even to a child, the contrast was
clear between the world of politics-a world of hate and danger, of
irrational beliefs and fears, of mass manipulation and disgraceful
blots on human history. In contrast, science held different
values-international in scope, forging friendships and working
relationships across national boundaries and political systems,
encouraging a dispassionate habit of thought, and ultimately leading
to fresh knowledge and technology that would benefit all mankind. ...
But I did not expect science merely to extend lifespan, feed the
hungry, cure disease, and shrink the world with jets and cell phones.
I also expected science to banish the evils of human
thought---prejudice and superstition, irrational beliefs and false
fears. ....Rather than serving as a cleansing force, science has in
some instances been seduced by the more ancient lures of politics and
publicity. Some of the demons that haunt our world in recent years
are invented by scientists. The world has not benefited from
permitting these demons to escape free.

"..The fact that the Drake equation was not greeted with screams of
outrage-similar to the screams of outrage that greet each Creationist
new claim, for example-meant that now there was a crack in the door,
a loosening of the definition of what constituted legitimate
scientific procedure. And soon enough, pernicious garbage began to
squeeze through the cracks. ..." Michael Crichton "Aliens Cause
Global Warming" January 17,
2003 http://www.michaelcrichton.net/speeches/speeches_quote04.html

~ Janice .......Bio: CRICHTON, (John) Michael. American. Born in
Chicago, Illinois, October 23, 1942. Educated at Harvard University,
Cambridge, Massachusetts, A.B. (summa cum laude) 1964 (Phi Beta
Kappa). Henry Russell Shaw Travelling Fellow, 1964-65. Visiting
Lecturer in Anthropology at Cambridge University, England, 1965.
Graduated Harvard Medical School, M.D. 1969; post-doctoral fellow at
the Salk Institute for Biological Sciences, La Jolla, California
1969-1970. Visiting Writer, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1988.

"Therefore, he has as much credential as I do to discuss
environment." ~ Wayne Dawsonzhu@aol.com Sat, 30 Sep 2006 18:28:47
EDT Re: [asa] Edward O. Wilson shares Dawkins' basic views
http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/200609/0430.html