Re: [asa] Cosmological Evolution?

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu Dec 28 2006 - 10:38:22 EST

At 09:13 AM 12/28/2006, George Murphy wrote:

>& of course one needs to know what Teilhard meant by "pantheist" &
>in particular whether when he spoke of his views in that way he
>meant the same thing the critic means. E.g., in his essay
>"Pantheism and Christianity" he rejects "heterodox forms of the
>pantheist impulse" such as "Spinozism, Hegelianism or
>theosophy." If we're to use terms in the way theologians use them
>today I think "panentheism" would be a more accurate
>characterization of Teilhard's views, whatever word he may have used. ~ George

@ That is also the opinion of the book reviewer whose comments I
posted to you yesterday:

On 12/27/2006 @ 6:34 PM Janice Matchett wrote: [excerpted]

Reviewer: Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (1881-1955) was a Jesuit
priest and a paleontologist ... Though Teilhard thought of himself in
pantheistic terms, I believe he would be better described as a
"Pan'en'theist". Panentheism according to Charles Hartshorne is the
belief that God is greater than the sum of God's parts. For the
Pantheist Nature is God. For the Panentheist Nature is a part of God. ...."

>In any case the term I originally objected to for him was
>"biocentrist" & that's certainly inaccurate. While Teilhard
>certainly saw humanity as part of nature, in union with it &c, he
>certainly thought that "hominization" was an advance on earlier
>forms of life. ~ George

@ If you had carefully read what I wrote, you would have noticed
that I was talking about the mentalities who embrace