Re: [asa] Cosmological Evolution?

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Thu Dec 28 2006 - 09:13:41 EST

& of course one needs to know what Teilhard meant by "pantheist" & in particular whether when he spoke of his views in that way he meant the same thing the critic means. E.g., in his essay "Pantheism and Christianity" he rejects "heterodox forms of the pantheist impulse" such as "Spinozism, Hegelianism or theosophy." If we're to use terms in the way theologians use them today I think "panentheism" would be a more accurate characterization of Teilhard's views, whatever word he may have used.

In any case the term I originally objected to for him was "biocentrist" & that's certainly inaccurate. While Teilhard certainly saw humanity as part of nature, in union with it &c, he certainly thought that "hominization" was an advance on earlier forms of life.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/