Re: [asa] Cosmological Evolution?

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Wed Dec 27 2006 - 20:18:27 EST

Yeah, there's a lot wrong with Teilhard's views - which wasn't entirely his fault. (If you're not allowed to publish your theological ideas, you're not going to get the criticism you need.) Nevertheless, characterizing him as a "pantheist" or a "biocentrist" is inaccurate. You might look, e.g., at Paul Santmire's The Travail of Nature, & especially his last chapter, "The Triumph of Personalism," in which his two examples are Barth & Teilhard. Paul's book is a good treatment of the history of Judaeo-Christian attitudes toward nature. You would probably classify him as a "biocentrist." I won't debate the point, but the fact that from that standpoint he finds Teilhard to represent the triumph of personalism indicates that the 2 can hardly be put in the same category.

Please understand that I'm by no means defending everything of Teilhard. (E.g., the statement below that he "clearly does not know what to do with suffering" is on target. In fact it's clear that he would much prefer a Lamarckian version of evolution & feels compelled rather grudgingly to accept Darwinian views. This is not unrelated to the fact that he is in many ways a traditional Roman Catholic - a fact appreciated much more by Lutherans & Reformed than by many RCs.)

Nevertheless, he has some good ideas. Serious theological work has to be able to pick out the gold from the dross. In particular, the fact that he wants to understand evolution in a christological way (even if with significant flaws) rather than in a merely theistic way, puts him ahead of some other theologians who express their views more clearly. (As one of my seminary profs put it, "Teilhard did not major in clarity." But again that's partly due to the lack of critical review.)

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/