Re: [asa] Cosmological Evolution?

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed Dec 27 2006 - 15:02:56 EST

At 08:24 AM 12/27/2006, Gregory Arago wrote:

>Could someone at this ASA list please provide a definition or link
>to a definition of 'cosmological evolution'? My curiosity connects
>with a comment I made earlier this year: "Frivolously applying
>'evolution,' for example, to societies, runs the danger of
>reductionism, just as raising biological ideas to cosmological
>explanations suffers from idealistically inappropriate
>transferability." It would seem that the way a theist speaks about
>'cosmological evolution' would be dramatically different from the
>way a non-theist speaks about it. Or is this not so? Would it be
>inaccurate to say that theistic theories of cosmological evolution
>are likewise "shrouding in scientific words" their own particular
>interpretations of God's creation? ~ Arago

@ It wouldn't be inaccurate to say that in many cases, I'm
sure. You may have had more luck if you had used search words like
Cosmogenesis or Gaia philosophy or Gaia "science" :)

For instance:

Cosmogenesis - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin a Jesuit
priest-theologian and a distinguished geologist-paleontologist

"..The main thrust of Teilhard's gnosis was a foundational
understanding of the Universe, which was expressed in his theory of
Cosmogenesis. According to Teilhard, the universe is no longer to be
considered a static order, but rather a universe __in process__. And
it is a continuing, upslope trajectory of evolution that Teilhard
declares a cosmogenesis. The process of Teilhard's holistic cosmos is
broken into the following categories: the Without and Within of
things; the evolution of matter, life, consciousness; and the Omega Point. ..

"..As Teilhard said, "the universe is no longer an Order but a
Process. The Cosmos has become a Cosmogenesis." For Teilhard the long
dreamed-of-higher life, that which has been considered as holy, had
hitherto been sought Above now directs itself toward the Ahead. ...
The Ahead is present in the cyclical process of the universe. ...

Teilhard especially considers that the deeply engrained notion of
*original sin* "translates, personifies...the perennial and universal
law of imperfection which operates in mankind in virtue of its being
in the process of becoming." ...the creature... along with the
cosmos...is in process. ...Teilhard notes that "Evil, in all its
forms...injustice, inequality, suffering, death...ceases
theoretically to be outrageous from the moment when *Evolution
becoming a Genesis*... displays itself as the...price of an *immense
triumph.*" ...For Teilhard, the tragic, real evil in this life occurs
when humanity fails to acquire a sense of the true value of the universe. ...

..Using Teilhardian language: the "process cannot achieve stability
until, over the entire globe, the human quantum has not merely closed
the circle upon itself... but has become organically totalized." Only
through collectivization (collective cooperation) can humanity
achieve this total, planetary development of the noosphere. It cannot
be built by people who think only of themselves; yet every person "on
earth shares, in (*hirself*), in the universal heightening of
consciousness." And finally, using anthropomorphic terms, Teilhard
believes that the noosphere is not only the "stuff of the
Universe...not only of *men,* but of the *Man* who is to be born
tomorrow." And through the efforts of humanity building the
noosphere, the earth "finds its soul." .."
http://www.bizcharts.com/stoa_del_sol/plenum/plenum_2.html

~ Janice ... who would bet the farm that those who buy into this
Cosmogenesis theory are the same sorts of "Greenie" mentalities who
embrace Biocentrism (the belief that all life, or even the whole
universe living or otherwise taken as a whole, is equally valuable
and humanity is not the center of existence. Hence, humanity is no
more valuable than say, mice. )