RE: [asa] Critical review of Dawkins' Book by the "Liberal Media"

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Tue Dec 26 2006 - 16:47:09 EST

From the review:

"Dawkins's book begins with a description of what he calls the God Hypothesis. This is the idea that "the universe and everything in it" were designed by "a superhuman, supernatural intelligence." This intelligence might be personal (as in Christianity) or impersonal (as in deism). Dawkins is not concerned with the alleged detailed characteristics of God but with whether any form of the God Hypothesis is defensible. His answer is: almost cer-tainly not. Although his target is broad, Dawkins discusses mostly Christianity, partly because this faith has wrestled often with science and partly because it's the tradition Dawkins knows best (he was reared as an Anglican)."

I do not know if Dawkins uses the term "designer" to continue and reinforce his fight with ID. However, the notion of a designer is not as fundamental as that of a Creator. I have always said and will continue to emphasize that there is no way a human can do away with the notion of a Creator. Note that an eternal universe would not include the notion of evolution except by considering a cyclical universe. Otherwise, the universe must have a beginning and thus be created.

Moorad