Re: [asa] Re: [christians_in_science] Happy Christmas Richard

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sat Dec 23 2006 - 18:35:00 EST

Iain -

This is marvelous. Thanks.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Iain Strachan
  To: christians_in_science@yahoogroups.com ; ASA
  Sent: Saturday, December 23, 2006 5:17 PM
  Subject: [asa] Re: [christians_in_science] Happy Christmas Richard

  Before we all get into an "I hate Richard Dawkins" mood, I just thought I'd post (slightly off-topic I guess) a Christmas poem I ran into the other day on the Blog site of Maggi Dawn, the chaplain of Robinson College, Cambridge. The poem is by Luci Shaw, and is called "Mary's song". I felt it told the traditional story in a fresh, new way, that was quite breathtaking. (Esecially the line "nailed/to my poor planet").

  Merry Christmas to everyone on the list!
  Iain

  mary's song
  Blue homespun and the bend of my breast
  keep warm this small hot naked star
  fallen to my arms. (Rest
  you who have had so far to come.)
  Now nearness satisfies
  the body of God sweetly. Quiet he lies
  whose vigor hurled a universe. He sleeps
  whose eyelids have not closed before.
  His breath (so slight it seems
  no breath at all) once ruffled the dark deeps
  to sprout a world. Charmed by doves' voices,
  the whisper of straw, he dreams,
  hearing no music from his other spheres.
  Breath, mouth, ears, eyes
  he is curtailed who overflowed all skies,
  all years. Older than eternity, now he
  is new. Now native to earth as I am, nailed
  to my poor planet, caught
  that I might be free, blind in my womb
  to know my darkness ended,
  brought to this birth for me to be new-born,
  and for him to see me mended
  I must see him torn.

  Luci Shaw