[asa] Re: [christians_in_science] Happy Christmas Richard

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Dec 23 2006 - 17:17:03 EST

Before we all get into an "I hate Richard Dawkins" mood, I just thought I'd
post (slightly off-topic I guess) a Christmas poem I ran into the other day
on the Blog site of Maggi Dawn, the chaplain of Robinson College,
Cambridge. The poem is by Luci Shaw, and is called "Mary's song". I felt
it told the traditional story in a fresh, new way, that was quite
breathtaking. (Esecially the line "nailed/to my poor planet").

Merry Christmas to everyone on the list!
Iain

mary's song

Blue homespun and the bend of my breast
keep warm this small hot naked star
fallen to my arms. (Rest
you who have had so far to come.)
Now nearness satisfies
the body of God sweetly. Quiet he lies
whose vigor hurled a universe. He sleeps
whose eyelids have not closed before.
His breath (so slight it seems
no breath at all) once ruffled the dark deeps
to sprout a world. Charmed by doves' voices,
the whisper of straw, he dreams,
hearing no music from his other spheres.
Breath, mouth, ears, eyes
he is curtailed who overflowed all skies,
all years. Older than eternity, now he
is new. Now native to earth as I am, nailed
to my poor planet, caught
that I might be free, blind in my womb
to know my darkness ended,
brought to this birth for me to be new-born,
and for him to see me mended
I must see him torn.

*Luci Shaw*