Re: [asa] Cobb County settles lawsuit

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Fri Dec 22 2006 - 15:21:53 EST

Thank you, Michael, for your response. It was more that I felt you were implying that geology holds a monopoly over evolutionary thought than you actually stating such a position directly. That you are willing to acknowledge it doesn’t hold a monopoly over evolutionary thought (if this is what you meant) is imo an important step toward demystifying the perspective of ‘universalistic evolution,’ which, as you may have discovered, is what I am intent on doing.

  “I have emphasised the importance of geological time, and that any ID arguments are futile until the vastness of time is recognised.” – Michael Roberts

  Geological time is certainly important, especially to geologists, as you have rightfully emphasised. But geological time is only one type of time among others. ID arguments are futile, I would agree with you, when they pretend they are offering a ‘revolution’ that would redefine ‘science’ as we know it. However, there is absolutely no reason for intelligent design proponents to recognise or even to speak about the ‘vastness of time’ (which Behe acknowledges), if their theory/hypothesis does not require it. They may speak about other types of ‘time’ than ‘geological time’ and still produce ‘science.’

  Michael, this is exactly the point (which it seems you do note in your third paragraph below): In order for something to qualify as ‘science’ it need not acknowledge all other sciences in existence, nor speak about geological time! For me to make a scientific hypothesis, test it, make observations, classifications, comparisons, etc. there is no need to recognize ‘the vastness of time’ as a geologist would. I should be free to study nature, society, culture, etc. from whatever viewpoints are acceptable in the sovereign sphere of my field. When ‘other’ scientists express otherwise, then they are speaking with a type of monopolistic or universalistic attitude, propping up their knowledge above their colleagues. (Please note, I am certainly not accusing Michael of this!)

  “When it comes to cosmology, biology and anthropology I have little to say as I am not competent in those areas and hand over to those who have some competence” – Michael Roberts

  Does this then mean that if someone falsifies or dis-verifies evolution in cosmology, biology, anthropology or another non-natural science from your own that you will tip your hat respectfully to their creative formulation? Even though you believe in, make use of evolution in your sphere(s) of knowledge does this mean that outside of your spheres of knowledge evolution is fair game and even welcome to be overcome (i.e. given its obvious links to atheistic philosophy via Darwin's followers and related others - Herbert Spencer comes immediately to mind, as do Marx and Nietzsche)? If so, this would signal an important step in our collaborative understanding - the admission/possibility that some 'evolutions' could rightfully be empty perspectives about reality.

  Gregory

Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
     Where I disagree with Michael (while at many other times agreeing with him) is on the notion that geology holds a monopoly over evolutionary thought. It doesn't.

   Gregory, where have I said that?