Re: [asa] RE: Public questions for Denyse O'Leary

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Fri Dec 22 2006 - 15:00:02 EST

 A Christmas message I wrote for our local newspaper - limit of 300 words or
so. Have I taken on Dawkins then?

*****************

The God Delusion

Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion is a best-seller. This is an attack on
religion as he regards belief in God as irrational, and contrary to
evidence. However, despite being a scientist and claiming to be guided by
evidence, he seems incapable of portraying religion with accuracy. He bleats
on that "faith is contrary to reason" and simply ignores the many thinking
Christians over the last 2000 years. In his zeal to show that Christians are
wrong and he simply ignores the number of scientists who are better
scientists than he, yet believe in Christ because of the evidence. His book
will sell as this is what many of the so-called educated want to hear.

            About 75% in Britain say they believe in God, but many have an
illusory belief in God. So often this "god" isn't a god at all, as it seems
to be a god who is not the Creator, can't do miracles, doesn't listen to
prayer. Of course, the advantage of this is that if you believe in a god
like this and you can behave just how you like and ignore worship. (But
churches are nice for Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals.)

            In this festive season we will come across many allusions to God
and Jesus, where singing the banal "We wish you a happy Christmas" is
sufficient reference to the birth of Jesus; along with platitudes that
"Christmas is for the children". Give me Winterval any day!!

            Only one thing matters and that is God Incarnate, who is God
becoming human in Jesus Christ. Christmas is to celebrate the birth of God
Incarnate and is meaningless without that. I ignore fairy-story versions of
his birth, with trivia like donkeys or fairies. Christmas is simply about
God becoming a human being to save humanity. That's what the New Testament
says and Christmas Carols (except the modern slush). So as we come to
Christmas let's make sure that we focus on one thing - the birth of Jesus
Christ, God Incarnate

Michael Roberts