Re: [asa] RE: Public questions for Denyse O'Leary

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Fri Dec 22 2006 - 11:41:06 EST

Here's another point. The people most hated by Dawkins, Weinberg & their
ilk are not folks like AiG but those who want to engage in serious
religion-science dialogue - or to use Ted's word, converstaion. (Note in
the recent atheist-fest how much criticism was directed at the Templeton
Foundation for sponsoring such dialogue.) The reason is pretty obvious,
though the atheists would never admit it: The existence of scientifically
literate religious believers who think that religion & science can be in
respectful dialogue refutes their claim that there is some necessary
incompatibility between them. That's why they claim they have more respect
for religious believers whose views clearly clash with scientific knowledge:
It's easier to make fools of them.

The very fact that there can be conversation between Christianity and
science implies that Christianity has something to say in the conversation.
In particular, it will say that totalizing claims made on behalf of
Darwinian evolution, or any other scientific theory extrapolated into a
metaphysic, are wrong. Dialogue does not mean agreement with everything the
other party says. Denyse's notion that an organization like ASA concerned
with such conversation is just going to be a lapdog for atheistic Darwinism
is pure fantasy.

But of course it's also not going to be a lapdog for those at the other end
of the spectrum, the dogmatic anti-evolutionists. The latter - ICR, AiG &
the more disreputable of the ID folks - are really a mirror image of the
Dawkins crowd. Their contempt is directed more strongly at TEs than at just
plain "evolutionists" & again the reason is not far to seek: The existence
of people who hold the Christian faith in accord with the creeds _and_ who
accept biological evolution puts the lie to the notion often implicit in
anti-evolution propaganda) that a Christian can't accept evolution.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/