Re: [asa] RE: Public questions for Denyse O'Leary

From: Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Dec 22 2006 - 11:03:02 EST

I was trying to think of a response to Denyse's post, and I can't do better
than David's. Let me also say that ASA serves a function that appears to be
next to impossible for most of the Christian community: a forum where
controversial issues can be discussed in Christian love. I'm sure most of you
have noticed that controversial issues seldom get discussed in church, and
sometimes when they do the discussion turns into a shouting match. But in ASA a
Christian who is trying to sort out how a controversial issue impacts his faith
can float his views and listen to the views of others, as well as find
reference material that may help him formulate his views. If I met a young
Christian who was having doubts about creationism I'd never send him to the DI.
I might have him read Bill Dembski's blog (including the comments), but I'd
definitely send him to the ASA.
--- David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com> wrote:

> *Atheists can get at the teens who learn their Darwinism from the school
> system and you others can ... well, ... converse!*
>
> And raise our children in the fear of the Lord. And minister in our local
> churches. And serve in our communities. And do sound and sober
> scholarship. And witness to our neighbors, friends and coworkers through
> deeds and words. And when we need some refreshment, some stimulation, some
> thoughtful people to bounce issues and ideas and doubts off of in a safe
> forum, converse a bit more. Thank God for the conversation!
>
> "Civilization is constituted by conversation" as Thomas Aquinas, one of my
> great heroes of the faith, once said.
>
> On 12/21/06, Denyse O'Leary <oleary@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > ASA is a "Forum for conversation."
> >
> > Ah yes. I see.
> >
> > My beef? Who can have a beef with a Forum for conversation?
> >
> > Now that that is all perfectly clear, I suppose there is little further
> > need for me to wonder why ASA does nothing when atheists, promoting
> > atheism as a logical outcome of Darwinism, make a direct play for teens.
> >

> > You don't need a battery of PR people, actually. Do you think that
> > Dembski has a battery of PR people?
> >
> > But Ted, let's just let this be. To the extent that ASA is merely a
> > Forum for conversation, of course it would not do anything.
> >
> > I can't imagine what led me to believe that ASA would do anything.
> >
> > By the way, just to clarify: I was not suggesting ASA should be the
> > Discovery Institute (DI). The DI promotes ID.
> >
> > They're probably happy enough with this turn of events, as it shows how
> > useless the current system is, from the perspective of most non-atheists
> > and non-materialists. If I were advising them (I'm not), I would advise
> > them to use this example and make the most of it.
> >
> > Atheists can get at the teens who learn their Darwinism from the school
> > system and you others can ... well, ... converse!
> >
> > This is my last post on the subject. I am sure that you have better
> > things to do, and the list is probably weary of it.
> >
> > Cheers, Denyse

> --
> David W. Opderbeck
> Web: http://www.davidopderbeck.com
> Blog: http://www.davidopderbeck.com/throughaglass.html
> MySpace (Music): http://www.myspace.com/davidbecke

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.
248.652.4148 (home) 248.821.8156 (mobile)